Sunday 8 October 2017

Learning Web Development to work remotely

My internship as a Montessori Teacher ended. I've learned valuable classroom management skills, interpersonal-social mediation, and have let my artistic side out of the crayon box. In the D.C. area, the salary for a Montessori teacher can be anywhere between $30 and 60,000. I was making the lower end of that. Tuition is higher in the DC area, from between $10-20,000 per school year depending on if you get financial aid or not. My benefits of cheap and lovely housing made living on a low salary with high tuition possible.

Now that I have moved to the Rocky Mountain area of Colorado, the tuition of a nearby Montessori school is $2-10,000 per year, and there is less room for growth for the teacher. The cost of living is expensive here, so I am switching careers. I can imagine going back to teaching a Montessori classroom. It's work that I enjoy day-in and day-out. However, the lack of flexibility and the high cost of living here is not a good fit to take it on. I want to be able to take advantage of powder days on the slopes.

I've started learning web development. I have always wanted to create websites and I enjoyed learning HTML and CSS. It's fun to make websites come to life, so I will start creating a few sites to build a portfolio. I am learning Java Script which, at the moment, is not clicking. It will be a few years of learning different coding languages, but my hope is that it will lead to a lifestyle where I can work remotely and have the flexibility to live in a new definition of luxury, and be paid a living wage.

New luxury? What's that? It used to mean a corner office and fancy material goods. I carry a minimalist-inspired perspective, where my things are only here to support my hobbies. I don't buy new clothes to keep running on a hedonistic treadmill. I only buy consumable goods. The new luxury is to control my environment such as choosing when and where I work.

There are many jobs that can be done remotely, and companies would lower their overhead if they were more open to letting their employees work elsewhere. The anxiety that companies face stems from their lack of knowledge regarding technological tools such as Basecamp, Skype, Virtual Private Networks, Timeclick software, Screen Capture/Share tools, et cetera infinitum!


No comments:

Post a Comment